BJU Together Week to unite with common cause

BJU Photo
BJU students work with American Red Cross, Greenville Fire Department and Police to install smoke alarms in the community surrounding Poe Baptist Church, Greenville, SC, March 11, 2017. (Hal Cook)

The BJU Office of Advancement is combining several activities into one culminating event, BJU Together Week on April 2 to 7.

Each day of the week will have a specific theme; Monday: Philanthropy Education Day, Tuesday: Donor Appreciation Day, Wednesday: Senior Giving Day, Thursday: Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day and Saturday: the annual Service Day.

The official purpose statement for the week says that “BJU Together Week, in collaboration with partnerships across campus, will provide students with the educational opportunity to put into practice what the University desires alumni to do—pray, give, promote and network.

Each day of the week will have a different focus such as philanthropy education, donor appreciation and service.”

Philanthropy, which is defined in an online dictionary as “the desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes,” is a main theme for BJU Together Week.

Meagan Ingersoll, a staff member in the Office of Advancement who helped coordinate BJU Together Week, said the goal is to encourage students to make an effort to do what they can—even if it seems small.

“Participation is what matters,” Ingersoll said. “We’re not asking students for financial support—that’s not the goal of this week. We’re emphasizing education. It’s about, ‘did you participate?’ People have given to you, so give back.”

To kick off the week’s activities the University Business Association (UBA) is hosting the keynote event: an evening seminar with special guest, Chuck Bentley, who will be speaking on “How to Be Biblically Successful with Money.”

This seminar will be in Stratton Hall Monday, April 2, at 6:30 p.m. The events is open to all students, graduates, faculty/staff and the community as well. Everyone is encouraged to attend.

Bentley is currently the Chief Executive Officer of Crown Financial Ministries. According to their website, Crown is “[a ministry that exists] to help individuals, families, and churches live in financial freedom as a direct result of heart transformation. Getting out of debt, living on a budget, and having money in the bank are important. But if that’s all we did, we would fail in our real mission.”

Micah Rea, a senior business major and chief of staff of the University Business Association, said Bentley is happy to serve BJU in whatever way possible.

“People should know how to plan for [their] future biblically, how to successfully use money [and] how to successfully invest in others and in God’s kingdom.” Rea said.

According to Rea, throughout the day Bentley will be speaking in a few classes and will have a booth in the den where students can talk with him. After the evening seminar Rea will moderate an open Q & A session with Bentley.

“[Bentley] has a cool story of how he got to where he is today,” Rea said.

“He is going to use that story as a platform to talk about how to use money to invest in people’s lives, invest in God’s kingdom and how to successfully lay treasures in Heaven, not here on earth. I’m [excited] for the [audience] to hear him talk about the importance of valuing money in light of God’s eyes.”

Another event is the faculty/staff appreciation day on Thursday. Rebekah Anderson, women’s student body president, said this event is focused on giving back to the faculty.

“We never want students to take our faculty for granted [and] we want faculty members to know we love them. So, this event will give [students] an opportunity to be intentional with how they honor and express appreciation for their [professors],” Rea said.

“I’d like to encourage students to appreciate their faculty but, more than that, to use this day as an opportunity to let their professors know they’re loved.”

The SLC is planning a special day that will include some surprises for the faculty/staff.

“I truly believe that the faculty are the best part of BJU,” Anderson said. “It’s not enough to appreciate [them], although that is certainly important. The goal [of Thursday] is to [show] them you appreciate them.”

More details about other events will be announced. Ingersoll encouraged students to check out the Center for Global Opportunities website, bjucgo.com, for additional information about Friady’s  Service Day and ways to get involved in the day’s service opportunities.