Easter Sunday to open with worship, sunrise service

BJU Photo
Taylor Bancroft and Emily Gutschow from the Office of Advancement participate in community service. Photo: Submitted

Bob Jones University invites faculty, students, and visitors to welcome the Easter sunrise with a time of worship and prayer. The Easter sunrise service will be held from 7 to 7:40 a.m. at Alumni Stadium on April 1,  Easter Sunday.

This service will be sponsored and led by the ministry class. Garrett Martin, president of the ministry class will be the primary speaker.

To students who are used to attending an Easter sunrise service at their home church, the event will provide a new iteration of a familiar tradition, and  it may also present students who have not attended a sunrise service before with an opportunity to experience a new type of worship service.

The challenge should take only about 15 minutes of the overall time. According to Dr. Nathan Crockett, director of ministry training, the primary goal of the event is to worship and rejoice in the Chist’s resurrection rather than to provide a second Sunday service.

The morning will include singing, special music and congregational-style singing in addition to the brief inspirational message.

Crocket encouraged students to see attending the sunrise service as a way to highlight the significance of the resurrection in their personal lives.

“Paul says that apart from the resurrection, our faith would be in vain,” Crocket said concerning Easter.

“What we choose to lose sleep over helps establish what our priorities are. College students are busy, but we tend to make time for the things we really want to make time for.”