Villanova wins second national title in three years

Antonio “Tony” Vernon
Villanova defeated every tournament opponent by over 10 points . Photo: Submitted

College basketball had quite the run in 2018.  It was the first time in the history of the tournament that a number one seed lost to a number sixteen seed.

Loyola had an incredible push into the final four, and there were plenty of scandals and dramas during the regular season.

However, Villanova captured the title, and ended the NCAA season in dramatic fashion. The Wildcats hit 10 three-pointers in the contest and buried the Michigan Wolverines in the second half.

Sophomore Donte DiVincenzo scored 31 points off of the bench and received the Most Outstanding Player award. DiVincenzo was the best player in the last two games of the season and took over in the final.

This could be the birth of a dynasty for Villanova. The team narrowly defeated the University of North Carolina two years ago to claim their first ever national championship trophy.

This year, the Wildcats faced two tough Final Four opponents in Kansas and Michigan. However, ‘Nova did not waver and met the challenge with a barrage of three-pointers and hustle plays.

‘Nova coach Jay Wright could also be in the spotlight for the next few years. With the championship win, Wright became one of three active coaches who have won at least two national championships.

That puts him in company with Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and UNC’s Roy Williams. Those are big names, and as the Villanova program grows and blossoms into a national powerhouse, Wright will remain an integral part of it.

Villanova will likely lose some players to the NBA but has no graduating seniors. They will be poised for another potential run next March.

This year The Collegian has sought to bring you the reader, careful analysis and factual evidence. Often however, we release column articles in which we tell you our opinion.

Well, here is a shout out to Jonathan Armstrong and his “Villanova” article we published two weeks ago. ‘Nova captured the championship and proved that Jon made a great pick. From the whole sports staff we would like to say “Well done”.