Music Div. programs updated

Daniel Petersen
Dr. Ed Dunbar addresses an audience in Stratton Hall about changes in the Division of Music. Photo: Daniel Petersen

The Division of Music is undergoing several changes this fall. All students majoring or minoring in the Division of Music recently learned about the changes in  a meeting with current division chair Dr. Ed Dunbar and Dr. Michael Moore, who will lead the division as chair starting in the fall semester.

“Continuous improvement is a part of any organization,” Dunbar said, “And it has been a part of who we have been in the Division of Music for many years.”

The Division of Music will begin offering both a bachelor of arts and a bachelor of science in music, a bachelor of music composition and a bachelor of science in music and church ministries, which was previously the bachelor of music in church music.

Many programs such as the bachelor of music in voice performance, keyboard performance, piano pedagogy and orchestral instrument performance have been revised to include additional credits and become more focused. Many courses in these programs have been revised and renamed while others have been removed.

The changes will affect bothe freshmen and sophomores this fall semester.

Those who are juniors or seniors will be able to continue with the older version of their program or choose to adjust to the division’s new academic plan along with the freshmen and sophomores.

Decisions to make changes to the division were made by faculty committees, recommendations from various review evaluators and external reviewers.

“These program reviews are sent to various people in different academic areas,” Dunbar said. “They take a fine look at what we do.”

Dunbar said the changes in the division were finalized by university leadership including Dr. Steve Pettit, the University’s president, Dr. Gary Weier, the executive vice president for academic affairs, Dr. Darren Lawson, the dean of the School of Fine Arts and Communication, the Academic Council and the Board of Trustees.

“We believe these changes will greatly enhance your educational experience at Bob Jones University and the value of education that you receive,” Dunbar said.

Additionally, Dr. Michael Moore will become chair of the Division of Music at the end of this academic year. Dunbar has served as the chair of the Division of Music for over 37 years.

Although the BJU Division of Music has long used the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) curricular standards as reference points in the planning and evaluation of academic programs, lack of regional accreditation  previously prevented NASM membership.

NASM represents the industry standard for a music degree-granting institution.

With accreditation obtained, the Division of Music is now preparing to apply for NASM membership. According to Dunbar, this process takes around two years but can sometimes take longer.

“Achieving membership in the NSAM would present a strong affirmation of the quality of education at BJU,” Moore said. “It would position us for strategic growth in the future.”