Bohemian serves eclectic menu, offers spontaneity

Rebecca Snyder
The Bohemian Cafe is a fun restaurant in downtown Greenville, SC, April 18, 2018. (Rebecca Snyder)

Located on North Main Street on the outskirts of downtown Greenville, just a short six-minute drive from campus, The Bohemian provides a cozy atmosphere for its customers with dark wood tables and chairs and upbeat background music to set the mood.

The term ‘Bohemian’ in this context refers to the variety of cuisines served at the cafe and restaurant.

Some days they serve Asian or Mexican food, while on other days shrimp and grits and other classic Southern foods are served.

One of the most popular dishes is the house-made jalapeño pimento cheese sandwich, made with choice of bread topped with Vermont white cheddar, roasted pimentos and jalapenos, Applewood smoked bacon and sliced tomato.

They also serve a variety of salads, which include chicken and tuna salads, both made in-house.

Other salad options include cobb, grilled salmon, shrimp and classic mixed greens. Prices range from $5 to $20. A brunch menu is also available for meals during  weekends.

While primarily there to enjoy food, guests can also peruse the adjoining record shop attached to the cafe. It is filled with a plethora of records, CDs and DVDs from a wide variety of genres spanning several decades.

Kevin Lucas and his wife, Jennifer, owners of The Bohemian, bought the cafe from a couple who retired together from the restaurant business in 2014. They run the cafe with their two children and a crew of about 20 to 30 others.

“There’s a lot of creativity involved,” Lucas said.

“I like to help people grow in their respective field and have a little creativity with it.”

They also cater at different events throughout the Greenville community, primarily serving hors d’oeuvres and appetizers for various gatherings.

The Bohemian is open Tuesday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

More information can be found on their website thebohemiancafe.com.