Cobras compete in 4 sports championships, win 3

Many societies specialize in one sport. Sometimes, a society does well in all sports during a single academic year.

Building on their society cup win last year, the Pi Kappa Sigma Cobras have dominated the intramural sports landscape this academic year.

Their dominance has resulted in three championships: flag football, volleyball and B team basketball. The Cobras also reached the Turkey Bowl and the final four in basketball.

Plus, the Cobras have begun the society softball season undefeated, positioning themselves to make a run deep in the playoffs.

How have the Cobras been able to win as much as they have this year?

All championship level sports teams are characterized by something that separates them from other teams. Some teams have a transcendent player to lean upon. Others have heart and love for the game. Some teams credit their coaching staff.

For the Cobras, according to their athletic director Allen Elliot, their competitiveness and love for the game gives them their edge when playing. 

“We just have a competitive drive that I do not think many societies have,” Elliot said. He thinks there are some societies that have better athletes than the Cobras, but those societies do not possess the desire to win that the Cobras have.

Elliot also believes the team chemistry of the Cobras sets them apart from other teams. “We are a very tight society, especially among the athletes,” Elliot said.

The Cobras athletes love playing sports with each other, but they love spending time off the field with each other as well.  “We just have a great camaraderie and great team chemistry on and off the field,” Elliot said.

Many societies struggle with sustaining success in society sports.

Some societies will be relevant in sports for two or three years.

But when those couple of years are over, they will go back to being mediocre.

BJU has not seen many society sports “dynasties” in its existence.

However, the Cobras are set up to continue to find success on the athletic field. Yes, the Cobras will lose much of their production due to graduation in the next couple of years.

However, the group of underclassmen the Cobras have brought in are very impressive.  All of their teams have found contributions from underclassmen.

Their recent success will allow them to rush many freshman athletes in the future.

The reputation of the Cobras as being a sports society will give them a leg up on the competition when rushing athletes.  “Athletes, when they hear (of the recent success of the society) will gravitate more towards the Cobras,” Elliot said.