Student leadership council hosts Late Skate event

Tonight’s Late Skate event will take place at the downtown Greenville Pavilion from 9:30 p.m. until midnight. The cost per ticket includes bus transportation to and from the ice skating rink and rental skates.

Previously, students rode one of several BJU buses to and from the activity. This year, students can also drive themselves. Those who choose to ride the bus will leave campus from Rodeheaver at 9:30 p.m. At the skating rink, students will be able to enjoy Christmas carols and spend time with friends. The Late Skate is a long-held BJU tradition that gives students the opportunity to celebrate the holiday season with ice skating.

Matthew Weathers, the student leadership coordinator, went on Late Skate outings when he was a student at Bob Jones University. “It’s just a great opportunity for students to get off campus, enjoy an extended curfew, enjoy a fun activity that’s Christmas-y,” Weathers said. Weathers said the Late Skate event hasn’t changed very much since he was a student.

Joanna King, a sophomore graphic design student, said, “It was so much fun and just a great experience that I get to look back on and cherish.”

Natalie Larson, SLC’s events coordinator, said, “It’s a great time to make memories and build friendships and just enjoy getting ready for Christmas.”

Katarina Shafer, a junior health sciences major, said her favorite part of Late Skate is being off campus and doing something fun for the holidays.

Anna Perrott, a sophomore elementary education major, went to the Late Skate event last year. She said her favorite part of the outing was learning how to ice skate. She hopes to go again this year.