South Carolina fights against abortion

Bob Jones University has been focused on abortion a lot recently. Or rather, focused on trying to prevent them. When Save the Storks president Paul Isaacs came to campus last year and spoke at BJU, it was like a spark that caused many students, faculty and staff alike to get on fire for the cause. 

This year’s Bible Conference fundraiser reflects that spark—Save the Storks and Paul Isaacs came back to BJU, and the BJU family set a goal of raising $150,000 to buy a Save the Storks bus. (Read Daniel Quigley’s article on page one for more information.)

The University screened the movie Unplanned, the true story of Abby Johnson and her turn from Planned Parenthood clinic director to pro-life activist. The entire Stratton Hall was packed within a few seats of capacity, showing the overwhelming support the University has for the pro-life cause.

Additionally, the Piedmont Women’s Center will hold its Night for Life with Abby Johnson this March 5 here on campus in FMA.

The BJU family is not the only group in the state to be pursuing the pro-life cause and the end to thousands of abortions. The South Carolina Senate is considering a “fetal heartbeat” bill—a bill that would ban most abortions after six weeks of pregnancy with few exceptions.

Controversy surrounds the bill, especially because some people claim that the new bill would be “unconstitutional,” saying it would violate the Roe v. Wade decision. However, the bill has already been accepted in the House of Representatives and is now making its way through the Senate. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster promised to sign the bill into law if it passes the Senate.

Sometimes, looking into this world and seeing all the hate and the terrible things that happen every day, we as Christians might feel like giving up. What difference can we make, anyway?

But we can see even from our South Carolina government that we are not alone in this fight to end the killing of unborn babies. Those who agree with abortion might like to make us think we’re outnumbered and alone, but we’re not. And what’s more, we are on God’s side. 

We need to pray. Pray for our country as a whole, and pray for the South Carolina state Senate as it decides on this bill in the upcoming weeks. We need to pray for more legislation like this to be passed in other states and for more organizations like Save the Storks to encourage the saving of little babies and their mothers every day. 

No matter how unimportant we might feel, we should remember that there is always something we can do—whether that be to pray, volunteer at a pro-life organization or donate to a nonprofit like Save the Storks. We can make a difference, and we should try our best to make even a small difference—because even if we save just one life, then it was all worth doing.