Success is a journey

How does one become one of the foremost experts on public restrooms? Is there a specialized degree program at a decorated design school? 

While there is no direct path, Dr. Jo-Anne Bichard of the Royal College of Art in London attained just such a feat when her thesis paper on public restrooms evolved into a thriving consultancy firm for restroom design.

Who can imagine what number of unique positions and careers exist for graduates in the working world? Yet high school graduates and college students still stress themselves to no end over their choice of major, minor or concentration. Yes, some careers, such as nursing, do require a specific academic path. But many careers, such as designing public restrooms, do not require a particular path.

Some students are trapped by assumptions of a perfect path to the exact career they desire, but it is rarely that simple. 

According to an article by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, only 27% of college graduates have a career in a field related to their area of study. Yet 62% hold a position that requires a degree. In other words, there are a multiplicity of graduates who could not hold the job they do without a degree—even in another field. This should encourage all those who don’t see God’s plan for them, because this statistic suggests that our majors do not have to define who we will be.

When sitting under the teaching of Jesus Christ Himself, Peter never even caught a glimmer of the goals that God would have for him. Jonah never expected Nineveh would be on his travel itinerary, and David the shepherd didn’t realize he would be used to bring peace to Israel.

Even if God hasn’t shown clear and specific academic or vocational direction, who are we to live in fear of uncertainty? God has never been uncertain of what our lives hold. It is in times of fear and uncertainty that our faith (or lack thereof) is made evident.

We cannot predict the future, but we can seek God’s will in everyday decisions and take every opportunity for growth that He offers us.