Gamet balances ministry, family

Kathryn Gamet, recently named head of the journalism and mass communication department, guides students along their career aspirations in JMC and works to incorporate her family into that ministry.

Since high school, Gamet said she has loved different forms of communication. She took communication classes, had experience in public speaking and wrote for the school newspaper. Gamet said she knew she enjoyed looking for news and finding stories, but she wanted to mold these passions into a career.

Gamet said, “I competed [at BJU] as a high school student in the high school festival competition in the TV editorial where I got to write my own script about a current event and then perform it in the TV studio.” This competition opened new doors for Gamet. “I loved it, and I loved the aspect of looking for the story, writing the story and performing the story,” she said.

After discovering this passion, Gamet wanted to become a reporter but said that God changed and directed her path. After graduating with a bachelor’s in radio and television, the program that preceded the current JMC major, Gamet stayed at BJU to get her master’s in broadcast management while working as a graduate teaching assistant. “I really loved teaching, and I never thought I would,” Gamet said.

Kathryn Gamet teaches one of her two sections of Fundamentals of Broadcasting in the JMC department TV control room. Photo: Olga Manyak

After she finished her master’s, BJU offered her a position in the JMC department. “I realized I could still be in the field I love while also helping others love it too,” Gamet said. She began her work as a full-time faculty member in 2009.

Today, Gamet focuses on the video and broadcasting side of JMC. Gamet said, “I advise [students], and I also work with the TV staff . . . and give feedback on stories they have created.”

Gamet said, “During a normal year, it probably wouldn’t be much different than what I’ve been doing . . . but this year, it has been a lot of researching and planning for our program review.” Every five years, each department goes through a program review year to evaluate their current status and where they can improve.

Gamet’s favorite thing about her position is being able to see students grow. She gets to know students as freshmen, then watch as they follow God throughout their futures.

“I get to teach the freshman level course[s], and then I also get to teach courses the whole way up,” Gamet said. “I love getting to see people come in with no knowledge of the program . . . and progress through and grow, and then get jobs in the industry.”

The Gamets with their four children Julia, Olivia, Josiah and Noah.
Photo submitted

Gamet shares this passion with her husband, Jonny Gamet, whom she met when both were students at BJU. “He was in the same major, and he was my cameraman when I was an anchor,” Gamet said. Jonny Gamet now works as the BJU sports information director for the Bruins and as an adjunct faculty member in JMC, teaching a social media management course.

One highlight of the Gamets’ ministry at BJU is leading the Antigua mission team every other year and working with the Caribbean Radio Lighthouse. “I love that because it is a practical application of using your skills and ability in ministry,” Gamet said. Their four children travel with them on the mission team, and the Gamets also involve their children in another ministry they lead—their church’s youth group.

Balancing a busy career and family life can be difficult, so the Gamets have made it a priority to involve their children in their work. “That’s always an interesting balance,” Kathryn Gamet said. “I love teaching; I also love my kids. And ultimately, they’re my top priority.” Gamet brings her children to Bruins games to support their father, and she also introduces her children to most of her students.

“I love that they have people to look up to like my students, the athletes, the Antigua team, who are older of course, but also take an interest in their lives,” Gamet said. The Gamet children enjoy being involved in their parents’ careers and daily work lives.

“I don’t choose a ministry or job over them,” Gamet said. “We’re all in this together.”