Division of Communication Graduate Students Awarded

In fall of 2020, Division of Communication graduate students submitted their research papers to the 91st annual Southern States Communication Association Conference. After a competitive review process by virtual panels, the highest-rated papers from competing universities were presented at the Conference in April of 2021.

Three BJU Division of Communication graduate students, Samantha Pfeiffer, Kaitlyn Stodola and Allison Gibbs, had their papers selected to be highlighted on panel discussions.

In addition to being selected to present their work, Pfeiffer and Stodola both presented on Top Paper panels with Samantha Pfeiffer going on to win the award of “Top Paper” in the category of Mass Communication for her work.

“This is an opportunity for our master’s program to receive external validation,” Dr. Charlotte Burke, Division of Communication faculty member, said. “When our graduate student work is anonymously reviewed and compared with the work of other graduate students, then selected for presentation and perhaps even as a top paper, that is confirmation of the quality of our BJU graduate education in communication.”

Paper topics:

Kaitlyn Stodola

“Control the War: An Overview and Application of Framing” and “Survival Through Commitment: A Deeper Look at the Importance and Processes of Trust and Commitment in Non-Profit Organization”

Samantha Pfeiffer

“Sustainability as a Lifestyle: An Examination of Individual Experiences” and “The Public’s Reaction to Kobe Bryant’s Death as an Example of Parasocial Mourning”

Allison Gibbs

“Image Repair Theory: Response to Southwest Flight 1380”