Film produced, written by BJU alumnus to be shown on campus

Alicia Cannon
Tulsa grossed over $400,000 at the U.S. box office.
Photo: Alicia Cannon

Bob Jones University will host a showing of BJU alumnus and movie producer Scott Pryor’s latest film Tulsa on March 17 in Stratton Hall at 7 p.m.​​​

The film tells the story of how Tommy Colston, an alcoholic veteran biker played by Pryor, had his life changed when his bright and sassy daughter Tulsa, who he did not know existed, came into his life, providing the Marine veteran hope.

Pryor said viewers should pay attention to the color palette because the color palette of a movie always helps tell it properly.

“As the movie progresses, the tones actually get lighter and lighter,” Pryor said.

Along with the themes of gaining faith, joy and a relationship with God, the movie covers issues ranging from adoption to depression.

Pryor encourages all students to see the movie. “It’s probably the best movie [the students] will ever see,” he said jokingly.

Pryor said viewers can learn several lessons from the movie. Many people will be able to relate to the problems, learn new truths about them and be moved at how God can work in people’s lives.

Pryor studied finance at BJU and now works as a trial lawyer, a field that has fueled his movie career by giving him ideas for stories and characters.

His love for acting started when he was young. He acted in a couple of plays in grade school, but then grew to love sports more through the years of growing up. In high school, his Bible teacher assigned skits for him and his classmates to present, something he always loved. At BJU, he put on skits in society and performed in a Shakespeare play.

After graduation, Pryor took a professional acting class in Atlanta. “I quickly realized I wanted to be on my own and write my own stories,” Pryor said.

His career in writing and producing movies started with a Christmas play for his church. He wrote and directed it, and it went very well. He did not know much about filmmaking, but God opened many doors for him to start producing movies. His first movie, The List, came out in 2015, followed by Blackbear in 2019 and Tulsa in 2020.

Pryor found his idea for the story of Tulsa through what he called a really tough case from his law career. A conversation with his client in the case inspired Pryor to make Tulsa.

[Students should go see the movie because] Tulsa will inspire, educate and entertain you, but we think Tulsa will take somebody and move them significantly: spiritually, mentally and emotionally,” Pryor said.

Pryor has many more stories to tell and plans to release more films soon.

He hopes to meet as many students as possible at the question-and-answer session after the movie.

“Get a whole crowd and pack the place out!” he said.