Students elect SLC, ISC officers for 2022-2023

The results of the SLC elections were announced to the student body through an email on April 13.
Photo: Melia Covington

The Student Leadership Council has announced the results of the 2022-2023 SLC elections, revealing a diverse team of new servant leaders.

Those elected include junior ministry and leadership major Carson Aaron and junior health sciences major Karis Martin, who will fill the roles of 2022-2023 student body presidents; Zach Haynes, a junior ministry and leadership major, and Ruth Urraca, a junior educational studies major, who will serve as the new Inter-Society Council directors; and Johnny Pierre, a sophomore international studies major, who will serve as the associations liaison.

Amelia Herrera Tavarez a sophomore child development major, was elected to serve as event coordinator; Caleb Morris, a junior early childhood education major, and Lydia Flynn a senior chemistry major, will represent the 2023 senior class; and Erica Guell, a sophomore health sciences major, will serve as Community Service Council director.

Anna Peterson, a sophomore graphic design major, will be the next communications director, and senior business administration major Emma DiMalanta will serve as the new treasurer.

Next semester’s student body presidents, Aaron and Martin, said they are excited to be a part of the new team.

“I know it’s a fun group of people,” Martin said. “It’s a diverse group—we come from pretty different backgrounds. But that means we can bring in many different perspectives to student leadership.”

In addition, next semester’s SLC anticipates serving the student body. “This is a group of servant leaders,” Aaron said.

According to Johnny Pierre, the students who were elected and appointed to SLC “are the people who are already serving. The groups and associations on campus have a lot of potential, and we want to help them tap into that,” Pierre said.

Pierre participates in many associations already, and is ready to serve the student body even more as a member of the SLC. “I spent the day praying about it when I got the email,” he said.

The 2021-2022 SLC organized several events for the student body, such as Ignite, Spirit Week, Service Day and the first ever Student Makers Market.