Acclaimed Canadian Brass performs at BJU

After performing at BJU, the group will tour in several countries in Europe. Photo: Submitted

The Canadian Brass will return to Bob Jones University to participate in the Concert, Opera & Drama series on Thursday, Jan. 26, at 7:30 p.m. in Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium. The group, composed of two trumpeters, a hornist, a trombonist and a tubist, will perform various arrangements from trademark Baroque to original compositions. 

Dubbed “one of the most popular brass ensembles in the world” by the Washington Post, Canadian Brass will perform for the third time at BJU, following concerts in 1997 and 2013. “The group has been here for past performances, and it’s been a favorite each time they’ve visited,” said Darren Lawson, dean of the School of Fine Arts and Communication.  

The group was originally slated to perform at BJU in March 2020 as part of its 50th anniversary tour but had to cancel due to COVID-19. “We’re thrilled that we can finally hear them perform,” Lawson said.  

With Canadian Brass’ more than four decades of experience and over 130 albums produced, the BJU community can expect a mix of entertainment, talent and fun during the event. “Even in the little details, like wearing tennis shoes in the performance, the group creates a pleasant and relaxing environment for the audience,” Lawson said.  

Michael Moore, chair of the Division of Music at BJU, testified to the  excellence of Canadian Brass in past experiences. “Their performance stands out in my memory as truly inspiring in the sense that it deepened my personal appreciation for musical excellence at a formative time in my life,” he said. The brass musicians have performed in several countries, including China, where more than half a million spectators watched the event through the country’s most popular television station. 

One of the group’s accomplishments is their capacity to work as a team, as they focus not on showing their talents as individuals but on displaying their creative abilities and teamwork as an ensemble, Lawson said. “These are some valuable life lessons that we can all take into our future ministries and careers.”