BJU Bruins fall to Life College Eagles Saturday, 88–70

A Bruin takes the ball down the court Photo by Kayla Pierce v 29.16

The Bob Jones University Bruins men’s basketball team lost to the Life University Eagles Saturday afternoon at the Davis Field House. The Bruins’ loss dropped their record to 13–11 on the season.

The Eagles came out hot as Ben Routh hit a three to start the game, but the Bruins’ Ray Holden retaliated by draining a three. The Eagles’ quick offense quickly pulled ahead until Marshall Riddle hit two three-point field goals in a row to keep the Bruins in the game.

However, the Bruins couldn’t stop the Eagles’ offense. Juwan Burden hit a three-pointer and the LU offense continued to find open looks. With 12 minutes to go, Kyle Turner hit a nice three to keep the Bruins alive while the Eagles led 18–12.

The Bruins had to fight hard to keep it close, but the Eagles continued to retaliate every time the Bruins tried to make a run. LU’s Jonathan Beausejour had a huge dunk, and the Eagles took a 38–31 lead into halftime.

Marshall Riddle led BJU with eight points in the first half followed by Kirtis Yurchak with seven. The Bruins shot 33 percent from the field and just 50 percent from the free throw line.

In the second half, the Eagles began to edge away. A few minutes into the half, Dantzler dunked it, and the Eagles began to really pull away. In retaliation, Turner had a nice jumper for two, but the Eagles widened their lead to 66–44 with 12 minutes left.

The Bruins tried to claw back as Killough drained a three, and Matthews had a massive dunk over the Eagles defense. Their effort wouldn’t be enough, however, and the Eagles pulled out a 88–70 win.

Riddle led the Bruins with 17 total points followed by Turner with 16. Holden and Matthews each had 11 total points and three rebounds. The Bruins shot 39 percent in total field goals and 57 percent from the free throw line.

“Overall, I was pleased the way we took care of the ball,” head coach Neal Ring said. “They were a tough team for us to play. They caught us a little bit in the zone. We have to close out more, and anticipate more on the backside.”

The Bruins will next face Pensacola Christian College on Feb. 20 in Pensacola, Florida.